Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Playroom Rules Canvas

Besides Vegas, I've had a few other things that have been keeping me busy and away from blog-land. I found this super cute "Family Rules" idea when I was blog surfing one day. I thought it would be fun to make one for our playroom. (I will eventually post pictures of the whole playroom. Does anyone else suffer from decorating ADD? I can't seem to finish one room before jumping to a project in another.)
Now I'm working on an actual "Family Rules" one for our downstairs. You know, because we're such an unruly bunch! ;) Here's the blog where I got the idea: The Pleated Poppy

30 comments:

Alanya/Ally said...

Okay, that is so stinkin' cute I might have to make one for my girls room. I especially loved the "encourage your sister" because we need more of that around here. And, yes, I suffer from the same syndrome. In fact when I painted my girls room in CO Andy said, "That's fine if you want to do it, but you HAVE TO finish it." I can't wait to see pictures of the whole room!

the pleated poppy said...

i love it! you did such a great job - your colors are really fun!

Alanya/Ally said...

Okay, now that I think about it... can I pay you to make me one? It looks so great, and I'm sure I would mess it up!

Kari Clark said...

That is adorable! Did you use a canvas, board or what? Great job!

Marylin said...

You ROCKED it!! This actually gives me an idea of how to do it without paper or fabric, I will let you know if it works! :)

queenieweenie said...

Yours is way cuter than the original (is that rude?) What a cute idea....mine would have to have things like no two teenagers under the same blanket, etc.

Becca said...

That is adorable, Rachel! You have such a talent for decorating, I can't wait to see the rest of the room!

Heidi said...

Love it. Looks super sharp and what clever rules. The only problem is... what happens when you have a boy? "Encourage you sister". Will you change it? Is it on paper or fabric? I can't wait to see your next one.

Cynthia said...

Stinking cute. Do you want to come decorate a nursery for me? :) :) :)

Rachel B. said...

Kari, I just used a canvas from Michael's. I was thinking about just using some one of their thicker foam boards. That would probably work too, but I thought the canvas would look nicer in the end. And I did the letters with my mom's Cricut.

Ally, you could totally do one! The biggest thing I had to realize as I was doing it was that it wasn't going to be perfect.... otherwise I would have driven myself nuts. All my paper is slanted a bit too much and there are many other imperfections. Let me know if you are serious and I will think about it.

Heidi, we're totally having all girls! :) Yes, I did think about the "what if we have a boy next?" But then I looked at all the colors in my playroom and realized that I'll have to completely redecorate anyway. I figure I have at least a couple years though....1 year+ for baby then another year once "he" would start playing in there.

Cynthia???? :) :) :)

KassiahMyers said...

So cute! I am sitting here thinking where can I do one in my house? Boys Room Rules??

Miriam said...

ooooh I am loving that! Such a great idea to put it in the play room. Can't wait to see the house rules edition.

Unknown said...

That's adorable. I'm totally going to steal it (hopefully we'll have a playroom in our next house). I can't wait to see the whole room!

herbie said...

SSOO CUTE!! It gives me the decorating bug. You have such a great talent for colors and putting things together. Can't wait to see the whole room--ya know if you ever get bored you can come one over.....j/k

Anonymous said...

That is too cute. You did a great job.

Jen Anderson said...

I am totally going to do this with Pres. Hinkley's 7 Be's! What do you think, it could work, right? Love it!

Julie T. said...

I LOVE this!! I will pay you to make me one:) j/k (kinda). I wish I was crafty like you! I will have to add this to my list of like 1,000 projects I would like to do!

The Kahumokus said...

WOW. I love it. I have a boys' playroom one but it isn't cute (because it's for boys I guess). I'm going to have to check out that blog!

The Kahumokus said...

OK, I just looked at ALL the others that were made. I truly like yours the best. Why is yours so much easier to read? What size is it? GREAT JOB!

Amy said...

Love it!

It's Been a Day! said...

i had seen this before and thought how fun this would be. but you are so much better than me because i only thought about making it! you did a fantastic job. i'm super impressed!

Janna and Randy said...

How did you get the cricut letters to stick on it while you painted? Super cute!

Rachel B. said...

Hi Janna! I used mod-podge to glue everything on. For each line, I would first glue the strip of paper and let it dry completely. Then I glued the back of each letter on. After they were all on and decently dry, I painted mod-podge all across the whole top. That holds everything on perfectly and gives it a good protective coat. It will bubble at first, but it always ends up flat, so don't panic. :) Let me know if you have more questions. Good luck!

Sabrina said...

What size canvas did you use? Sooo cute!!!

Sabrina said...

What size canvas did you use? Sooo cute!!!

Rachel B. said...

Hi Sabrina, the canvas is 24x36. Hope that helps!

Unknown said...

Can u elaborate on how you got the lettering on the canvas? I'm a bit confused on the process. Thx

Rachel B. said...

Hi Rosaria,

I first cut the letters out with a cricut. (You can cut them out several different ways though.) Then I individually glued each letter on with Mod Podge (a craft glue you can buy at Michael's and several other places). Let me know if that is still confusing and I can see if I can help more. :)

Unknown said...

Hi Rachel thanks. The only thing is I don't have a cricuter. Do u have any suggestions of how I can improvise?

Rachel B. said...

Hmmm...I'm not really sure. You could maybe just use your printer to print directly onto the scrapbook paper or handwrite it if you have nice print. Check out the "Pleated Poppy" site that I linked to above. People linked their canvas rules on and they did it all sorts of different ways. They may have some ideas that might work. Good luck!